On December 4, 1919, South Dakota became the 21st state to ratify the 19th amendment. To celebrate this historic event, we are inviting suffragettes (and "suffragents"! ) to board the bus with us to Pierre.
We will travel to the South Dakota Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre to view two exhibits, commemorating the 100th anniversary of the 19th Amendment.
The first exhibit is titled "Rightfully Hers," a pop-up exhibit from the National Archives which explores the history of the ratification of the 19th Amendment, women's voting rights before and after 1920 and its impact today.
The second exhibit is "The Right is Ours: Women Win the Vote." This display traces the history of the suffrage movement and its leaders from 1848-1920.
To finish the day, we will tour "Christmas at the Capitol," an extravagant display of over 100 Christmas trees filling the halls of this beautiful building.
$50 registration fee includes transportation, exclusive tours and private lunch at the South Dakota Cultural Heritage Center.
Itinerary for December 4, 2019:
- 7 am--Meet at 830 Main Street to board the bus to Pierre
- 7:30 am--Depart for Pierre
- 11:30 am--Arrive at South Dakota Cultural Heritage Center for exclusive tours and private lunch
- 2 pm--Depart for "Christmas at the Capitol"
- 5 pm--Depart for Rapid City
- 7:30 pm--Arrive back to Rapid City